If you’re thinking of the best gift to give your kids during their first birthday, why not bring them to the dentist for a checkup appointment? Preventive care services, when implemented early to a child, can save both their overall oral health and your pocket as well.
Do not let “baby bottle decay” to take place
Never allow your little ones to sleep with a bottle of juice or milk in their mouth. Those sugar particles from the drinks might cling to their teeth, giving way for the bacteria to produce cavities.
Instill good habits to your kids
You might hear this several times, but brushing is a crucial part of maintaining the cleanliness of the teeth. Even before your kids’ teeth erupt, you can start cleaning their gums. To do this, make use of the baby toothbrush or simply wipe them with a soft washcloth. Once their teeth already appear, you can allow them to brush their teeth twice daily using a small-sized fluoridated toothpaste.
Load them with essential vitamins and minerals for the teeth
The food that people consume plays a significant role in maintaining a healthy mouth, teeth, and gums too! However, preparing wholesome, home-cooked meals for them aren’t always possible. That’s why we at Dental Arts recommend kids to take essential vitamins and minerals for the teeth.
The following are important supplements that contribute to maximum oral health:
- Calcium. The human body itself is loaded with calcium. It is necessary for strengthening the bones as well as the teeth. Milk, cheese, and other dairy products are high sources of calcium, but amongst such, we highly suggest getting it from cheese because the protein, known as casein, it is ideal in building strong enamel.
- Vitamin C. The antioxidants property that is present in vitamin C heals the gums and soothe inflammations. It allows the body to produce more collagen, which is good for repairing the cells and accelerating the healing process. Eating citrus fruits in a day is the best way to load the body with much vitamin C. But keep in mind that consuming these can be very acidic for the teeth. Rinse your mouth with water right after.
- Vitamin A. One of the highly known vitamins in boosting the overall oral health known as Vitamin A. This type of supplement allows the sufficient production of saliva, thereby cleaning the teeth and halting dry mouth. In addition, it also nurtures the mucus in the mouth that covers the cheeks and the gums for them to get rid of the infections and diseases. Vitamin A can be found on foods like eggs, sweet potatoes, carrots, fish, and more.
- Vitamin D. The healthy power of calcium is useless without taking adequate amount of vitamin D. Acting as a communicator vitamin C signals the intestines for the absorption of calcium into the bloodstream. When the two essential supplements are present in the body, the teeth can become denser and strong, fractures and cracks are therefore prevented.
- Magnesium. Another fantastic mineral that protects the overall health and strengthens the teeth is magnesium. For the calcium to be absorbed in the body, magnesium is also needed.
Taking the right supplements can help your child receive the optimum oral health that you always dreamed of for them. However, this simply is not enough to ensure your kids a disease-free mouth and gums. Bring them with us at Dental Arts for Pediatric Dentistry care.
Dental Arts is always ready to take action involving you and your child’s oral health. If you want to experience secure and more child-friendly Pediatric Dentistry services in Wauwatosa, WI, contact us and book your appointment at 11600 W North Ave Wauwatosa, WI 53226.